Wednesday, November 08, 2006

On guilt and animals

I feel horrible. We sent newcat (more commonly known as "Maude," or, as Jill has been calling her of late, "Maudezilla") to the vet's office to get her vagina deactivated. Since she (the cat) tends to be really bad with her claws, we decided to get that taken care of, as well.

We'd done all the research and known how many consider it to be totally inhumane and all that, but we did it anyway. I'm not sure we made the best decision--it doesn't matter. I feel guilty simply because the cat is really loopy from the anaesthesia still.

I feel guilty because she has to wear a cone around her neck and because she's hobbling on her front feet. Which, honestly, is sort of cute, but also sort of sad.

What makes me feel most guilty, though, is the fact that there's blood caking into her paws, where the stitches are. The lesson here? For me--I'm not going to declaw any more cats. For you--if you're human, you shouldn't declaw your cats. If you do, you should feel kinda guilty about it.

Pictures to follow over the next couple/few days.

UPDATE: Here they are... don't puke or yell at me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: